Shortbread cookies can be made with cornstarch, however they will not have the same texture as traditional shortbread cookies. Cornstarch will give the cookies a more crumbly texture and a slightly different flavor. To make shortbread cookies with cornstarch, replace half of the flour in the recipe with cornstarch and proceed as normal.
shortbread cookie with cornstarch recipes
Classic Shortbread Cookies Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add flour, cornstarch, and salt and mix until combined.
4. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and pat into a 9×13 inch rectangle.
5. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to score into 1-inch squares.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden.
Let cool completely before breaking into individual squares.